Friday, March 05, 2010

Exhibition at the V&A Museum, London, Quilts 1700-2010

There is this exhibition starting on the 20 th March in London at the V&A Museum, called "Quilts 1700-2010. I think it will be very interesting.
Of course I am biased because of my interest in everything fibre related, but I thought their advertising with lots of different newspapers was very good. I have seen several articles in the Times, starting a few months ago about the coming exhibit.
This week there were 2. One on 28 Feb reporting on the "new vogue for quilting" although I wonder how they can think it is new.
Today there was an article telling you how to make your own Tracey Emin cat quilt. The explanations are written by Sue Prichard, the curator of the exhibition. It is designed more for beginners, but you could use the design of the cat on something else.
The best article was written last week by Grayson Perry, who also made a piece for the V&A, called "Quilting is not a dumb hobby"

The best part is that I received an invitation to a preview at the Museum on Wednesday 17th March. I wonder who will be there, it will be so interesting so see the pieces, and of course people passionate about patchwork and quilting.
I'll tell you all about if when it has happened.

1 comment:

Mrs. Mike said...

Upon the name '1700-2010' I assume we're looking at 300 years of quilts, in which case that would be very interesting to see the evolving of style, design, technique, and beauty.
Have a great time and take lots of photos!