Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Knit hackers

My DH found this article about knit hackers in Austin, Texas. This is all done with the Museum of the town, and wouldn't have happened without an army of knitting volunteers.



I like the idea of knitting getting closer to art than craft. I think it draws attention to the possibilities offered by yarn and needles, or crochet. People take products for granted and at the same time lose the understanding of how it is made. That's when you get "Did you make that", in amazement and without any comprehension of the time and equipment needed to get to that result.

So I love these manifestations of textile art.

2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Love it!?,!

Mrs. Mike said...

I think it's important to know where things come from or how their made. I come across people that percieve my teaching the girls how to knit, crochet, or sew as being terribly old fashioned, but the skill and art of invention is priceless.
Sometimes I marvel at how someone sat sorting out- add a stitch here, take out a stitch there- voila! a turtleneck sweater! or cut yardage this way and sew it that way and you have a button up, cuffed and collared shirt.
Math, skill, precision, art.