Sunday, May 09, 2010

Old sewing notions





My grandfather worked in the textile industry. See it's not my fault if I love everything related to fabric, it must be in the blood. And I found these in my grandmother's sewing supplies.
I loved them both dearly but sadly they left us a few years ago.

Under the brown paper from Coats, are reels of thread. I didn't open them to check the state of the cotton, because I think they look so much better like this, with the tie around.


And then there were these books of buttons. Some were used by Bonne Maman, probably on some clothes for my Mum and Aunt.




Sorry it's all in french, but I am sure that you can catch the spirit of the time, just looking at these.

3 comments:

sewkalico said...

Wow! Those packages of thread are just amazing!!

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh Pascale! What a sweet treasure and connection to your grandparents! Isn't such a nice confirmation of your love for sewing?!!? These are very rare. I suppose they are salesman samples for the buttons? How lovely. Thank you for sharing with us. Especially today. XOXO

Gill said...

what a great post!!
i love buttons -and all haberdashery really
the family connection is priceless

gill

ps are you going to malvern this week?