I can't believe that I had never done that technique before. I have done some cathedral window, but never celtic.
The idea is that you use a bias strip to make your design on the fabric. The added detail here was the different pieces of fabric inserted in some of the space created by the bias strip.
It's not really difficult, but it takes time, a lot of time I would say.
You start by copying your design on your fabric, marking the 2 sides of your strip. You must be careful to mark the crossing points and indicate which strip is above the other. You make your bias strips by cutting your fabric on the bias, 1 1/2"wide, fold them in 2 and sew 1/4" along the cut edge. You can recut the seam allowance if you want it smaller, or leave it to give some volume to your strips.
You insert the metallic bar and iron on it so that the seam is in the middle of the strip and will be hidden when sewn down. Be careful as the metallic bar becomes hot with the iron.
Then you start pinning your strip. You can mark a strip going under by inserting a leftover bit of bias at the crossing point.
In fact it is better to have small portions of bias, as you just hide the joints at the jonction under another strip of bias. As you can see on the photo, the beginning of the first strip is hidden by another bias above it.
And so you sew around your project, you fold the bias for the points in the centre and I decided to cut some of the surplus fabric under at that point, so as to reduce the bulk.
I am glad I have finished, as it took me longer than I thought.
I will use this blog later in DD3 bed quilt, when I seriously start to work on it. Until then I have a few projects to finish, and my october bag to start.
I hope you enjoyed these quick explanations.